For Immediate Release – March 18, 2020
Since the outbreak of the COVID-19 (coronavirus) and Governor Northam’s State Declaration of Emergency and President Trump’s National Emergency Declaration the Town of Appomattox has remained vigilant. As we continue to monitor the ever-changing landscape of this emergency, our priority will always be the health, safety, and well-being of our Citizens and Staff. To limit the possibilities of spreading the coronavirus, the Town has closed until further notice the Visitor Center, Abbitt Park, The Kiddie Park, and the lobbies at Town Hall and our Facilities Department. However, we will still be working to serve our citizens. We can be reached at Town Hall 434-352-8268 or at our Facilities Department at 434-352-8393. These facilities will reopen to public access when appropriate.
While we have cancelled our March 24th Council Workshop meeting, it is our hope that our April 13th Regular Council meeting can be held as scheduled. Other regular Town meetings such as the Planning Commission and Economic Development Authority will not be held until this emergency has passed. We will continue to update you and remind you that President Trump and Governor Northam have requested that all citizens continue to assist in the fight against this virus. You can assist by following these helpful tips.
- Avoid close contact (about 6 feet or 2 meters) with people who are sick or people who are at a higher risk of developing severe disease (e.g., older adults and people who have severe chronic medical conditions.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home if you feel sick.
• Separate yourself from other people and animals in your home. As much as possible, you should stay in a specific room and away from other people in your home. Also, you should use a separate bathroom, if available.
• If you are sick, you should wear a facemask when you are around other people (e.g., sharing a room or vehicle) or pets and before you enter a healthcare provider’s office.
• Call ahead before visiting your doctor. This will help the healthcare provider’s office take important steps to keep other people from getting infected or exposed.
• If you have a medical emergency, call 911 and tell the operator about your recent possible COVID-19 exposure.
- Cover your coughs or sneezes with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces (e.g., tables, countertops, light switches, doorknobs, and cabinet handles) using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
For Immediate Release – March 17, 2020
Public access to all Town of Appomattox offices and buildings will be suspended starting at 8:00 a.m. on Wednesday, March 18, 2020, until further notice. The Appomattox Town Office will be staffed and conducting public business via email and phone. Please use one of the following methods to make payments:
1 – Payment drop box in parking lot
2 – Online https://townofappomattox.com/online-bill-pay/. MasterCard and Visa only. Additional fees will apply.
3 – By phone 434-352-8268. MasterCard and Visa only. Additional fees will apply.
We will do our best to keep both the Town website and Facebook page updated with information as it becomes available:
Thank you for your patience and cooperation.